Employment Opportunity: Crown Attorney – Manitoba Justice
LF1-3 Legal Counsel 1-3
Manitoba Prosecution Service, Crown Law
Advertisement Number: 42035
Salary(s): LF1-3 $80,191.00 – $158,529.00 per year
Closing Date: December 7, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages, and perspectives drive a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
To be considered for this competition you must submit an Application Screening Form.
Complete the Application Screening Form at the link below.
If you are having difficulty opening the link, you may have to use a different browser. You may also contact Human Resource Services under “Apply to” to request a copy of the Application Screening Form. The selection board will rely only on information provided in this Application Screening Form to determine whether a candidate will be invited for further assessment.
Manitoba Prosecution Service is responsible for prosecuting most offences in Manitoba. These offences are identified in provincial statutes, the federal Criminal Code of Canada and The Youth Criminal Justice Act. This is a unique opportunity with Manitoba Prosecution Service to work in a dynamic office with Crown Attorneys of varying levels of experience. For more information on living and working in Brandon click here. Crown Attorneys in the Manitoba Prosecution Service are members of the Manitoba Association of Crown Attorneys and the collective agreement can be found here.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Eligible for immediate membership or membership (in good standing) with the Law Society of Manitoba
- A valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License
- Enhanced Security Screening; Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search, Adult Abuse Registry Check &Child Abuse Registry Check
- Evening and weekend work as required
- Ability to travel by road, air, and small watercraft, including overnight stays
- Advocacy experience in the practise of law
- Superior oral communication and presentation skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Effective case management
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively meet short deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work in a team environment
- The ability to adapt, learn and grow through challenge, pressure or adversity (resilience)
- Prosecutions or Criminal Law experience
As a Crown Attorney, you will provide prosecutorial service regarding matters arising under the Criminal Code of Canada and provincial statutes, in the provincial and superior courts. Other duties involve giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports and instructing police with respect to charges and investigations. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in community and other legal education in the areas of criminal law and procedures on behalf of Manitoba Prosecution Service.
Advertisement # 42035
Talent Acquisition – Executive Recruitment
Human Resource Services
608-330 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB, R3C 0C4
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.