Employment Opportunity: Crown Prosecutor Ministry of Justice (Prince Albert, SK)
Are you seeking to practice law and make a difference? Would you like to have a great career and work life balance? If so, you might be the perfect candidate for us! Public Prosecutions is seeking to fill opportunities in various locations in the province!
As a Crown Prosecutor you will help deliver justice through fair and effective prosecutions. Public Prosecutions prosecutes those charged under the Criminal Code, Youth Criminal Justice Act, some federal statutes, and some provincial statutes. Public Prosecutions promotes safe communities by just conclusion of criminal charges through various means, ranging from vigorous prosecution of trial matters, working with justice partners, individuals, and organizations to implement alternative resolutions.
The work offers an intellectual challenge, and an opportunity to make a difference in your community. Your work as a Crown Prosecutor will be important to the community you’ll call home and those throughout the region.
- Eligible for membership and, on an ongoing basis, holding a membership in good standing with, the Law Society of Saskatchewan;
- Satisfactorily pass a criminal record check;
- Outstanding oral communication and presentation skills;
- Superior written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Effective case management and organization skills;
- The ability to meet short deadlines, working independently and as part of a team;
- Experience and proficiency with computer software applications including legal research applications and MS Office. Experience with CJIMS is considered an asset but is not required; and
- Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law is considered an asset but is not required.
Under the direction of a Regional Crown Prosecutor and Public Prosecutions’ Head Office, you will be responsible for a multitude of duties and decisions. Primary duties will be the carriage of criminal, quasi-criminal, and regulatory prosecutions in the Provincial Court for Saskatchewan and the Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan. Such carriage will include docket court work, trial work, and summary conviction appeals. Other duties include giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports, and advising police as appropriate. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in legal education in the areas of criminal law, ethics, and the like.
Closing Date: February 28, 2023
Competition Number: HUM012275
The Government of Saskatchewan offers a wide range of careers with purpose and passion. Our people enjoy an
enviable work/life balance in an environment that supports creativity, innovation and diversity while providing
learning and career development opportunities. We are helping make Saskatchewan the best place to live, work and raise our families, by building the best public service in Canada. Join the team!
For more information on this and other opportunities in the public service, visit saskatchewan.ca/careers
Toll free 1-866-319-5999