Employment Opportunity: Crown Prosecutor – Ministry of Justice (Yorkton, SK)
As a Crown Prosecutor you will help deliver justice through fair and effective prosecutions. The work offers an intellectual challenge, and an opportunity to make a difference in your community. Your work as a Crown Prosecutor will be important to the community you’ll call home and those throughout the region.
- Eligible for membership and, on an ongoing basis, holding a membership in good standing with, the Law
Society of Saskatchewan;
- Satisfactorily pass a criminal record check;
- Outstanding oral communication and presentation skills;
- Superior written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Effective case management and organization skills;
- The ability to meet short deadlines, working independently and as part of a team;
- Experience and proficiency with computer software applications including legal research applications and MS Office. Experience with CJIMS is considered an asset but is not required; and
- Litigation experience in the practice of criminal law is considered an asset but is not required.
Under the direction of a Regional Crown Prosecutor and Public Prosecutions’ Head Office, you will be responsible for a multitude of duties and decisions. Primary duties will be the carriage of criminal, quasicriminal, and regulatory prosecutions in the Provincial Court for Saskatchewan and the Court of Queen’s Bench for Saskatchewan. Such carriage will include docket court work, trial work, and summary conviction appeals.
Other duties include giving legal opinions, reviewing police reports, and advising police as appropriate. The successful candidate will be expected to participate in legal education in the areas of criminal law, ethics, and the like.
The hours of work can vary and include working evenings and weekends when duties require. Travel by road is required and possibly by air, with work possibly requiring overnight stays in other communities. We would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: January 7, 2023
Competition Number: HUM011983
The Government of Saskatchewan offers a wide range of careers with purpose and passion. Our people enjoy an enviable work/life balance in an environment that supports creativity, innovation and diversity while providing learning and career development opportunities. We are helping make Saskatchewan the best place to live, work and raise our families, by building the best public service in Canada. Join the team!
For more information on this and other opportunities in the public service, visit saskatchewan.ca/careers or call toll free 1-866-319-5999.