Employment Opportunity: Fintech Lawyer – Gittens, de Beer & Associates
LAW FIRM: Gittens, de Beer & Associates
LOCATION: St. Johns, Newfoundland & Labrador
JOB TYPE: Permanent Full-time
JOB TITLE: Fintech Lawyer NOC-41101
ABOUT THE FIRM
Gittens, de Beer & Associates is a well-established, full-service law firm that is known for providing knowledgeable and effective legal services and we are committed to delivering excellent client outcomes. As we continue to adapt to the evolving needs of our clients, we are seeking a talented and forward-thinking Fintech Lawyer to join our firm and lead this practice group, on a permanent full-time basis. This position requires in person attendance at our office situated at 8 Kenna’s Hill, St John’s NL.
As a Fintech Lawyer at Gittens de Beer & Associates, you will have a unique opportunity to shape our Fintech Practice Group. You will play a key role in developing the firm’s expertise in fintech law and provide strategic legal advice to clients operating in the fintech industry. This is an exciting chance to be at the forefront of technological innovation, driving growth and success for both our clients and the firm.
- Develop and lead the firm’s Fintech Practice Group, cooperating with partners, associates, and other professionals to launch the group’s vision, strategy, and goals.
- Provide legal counsel and guidance to clients on a wide range of fintech related matters, including regulatory compliance, licensing, intellectual property, data privacy, and cybersecurity.
- Conduct in-depth legal research and analysis to stay updated on emerging fintech laws, regulations, and industry trends.
- Advise clients of their legal rights.
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts, agreements, and legal documents specific to the fintech sector, such as technology licensing agreements, payment processing agreements, and data sharing agreements.
- Work closely with clients to identify and mitigate legal risks, ensuring their operations align with applicable laws, regulations, and industry best practices.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams within the firm to leverage expertise from other practice areas, such as corporate law, intellectual property, and litigation, to provide comprehensive legal solutions to clients.
- Stay actively involved in the fintech industry by participating in industry events, conferences, and networking opportunities.
- Research legal precedents and gather evidence.
- Represent clients in court/tribunals (Tribunals, Provincial Court, Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and Federal) with Applications, trials, etc.
Contribute to the firm’s leadership initiatives by writing articles, delivering presentations, and conducting client seminars on fintech legal developments.
- LLB/JD from an accredited Canadian law school or have a NCA certificate and in addition, be licensed or able to be licensed by the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- At least 5 years of experience as a lawyer specializing in fintech law, preferably with prior experience in establishing or leading a practice group.
- Strong knowledge of fintech laws, regulations, and industry practices, with a deep understanding of the unique legal challenges faced by fintech companies.
- Proven track record in providing strategic legal advice and counselling to clients in the fintech sector.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills.
- Strong business acumen and ability to identify opportunities for the firm’s growth and expansion in the fintech market.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively with colleagues and clients.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to inspire and mentor junior lawyers.
- Entrepreneurial mindset and a passion for innovation and technology.
- Drafting correspondence, legal documents, contracts, pleadings, and other law documents
- Experience in representing clients in court (Federal /Provincial etc) with applications, trials, etc.
We offer a competitive remuneration package ($50,000 to $100,000 per year, depending on experience), which includes the following:
- Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador annual Bar Fees
- Health and dental plan, cost shared 50/50 between employer and employee
- 15 days leave per year
- 6 personal days per year
- Free parking
HOW TO APPLY
If you are a highly motivated and experienced Fintech Lawyer ready to take on the challenge of establishing and leading a new Fintech Practice Group at a prestigious law firm, we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume, cover letter, and any other relevant documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please mention “Fintech Lawyer – New Practice Group Application” in the subject line.
Note: Only qualified candidates will be contacted for further evaluation.
At Gittens, de Beer & Associates, we value diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds to apply, as we believe that a diverse team fosters creativity, innovation, and success.