Employment Opportunity: Labour Relations Board Officer – Department of Environment and Climate Change
Competition Number: ECC.23.24.0817
Posted Date: October 10, 2023
Closing Date: October 25, 2023
Employment Type: 1 Temporary
Division: Labour Relations Division
Department: Department of Environment and Climate Change
Position Group: Non Bargaining / Non Management
Location: St. John’s
Salary: $78,830.00 – $101,494.00 per annum (HL-23), 35 hours per week
This position liaises with parties to gather pertinent information on labour relations matters in the province within the jurisdiction of the Labour Relations Board under eleven pieces of legislation. The position investigates and prepares timely, clear, concise and comprehensive written reports to the Board on a variety of applications and complaints including, but not limited, to unfair labour practice complaints, applications for certification, revocation of certification and successor rights applications. This position also conducts representation votes on applications; plans, organizes and chairs meetings with senior representatives of parties affected by an application; and provides consultative services to the public and parties. The incumbent is required to acquire and maintain extensive knowledge of the Labour Relation Board’s policies, procedures, decisions, jurisprudence and legislation from which the Board derives its jurisdiction. The incumbent develops and maintains effective working relationships with the Board, senior management, union officers and employer representatives and their solicitors; and other related duties as required
- Completion of a degree in Business Administration, Industrial Relations, Employment Relations or Law (equivalencies will be considered)
- Labour relations experience
- Experience conducting research, preparing written reports / submissions or legal reports /submissions
- Mediation and/or investigative experience
- Completion of a Master’s degree in Employee Relations, Industrial Relations or Law (asset)
- Knowledge of the Labour Relation Board’s concepts, policies, procedures, and legislation
- Knowledge of previous Labour Relations Board decisions (asset)
- Ability to conduct research
- Investigative and mediation skills
- Ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive investigative reports
- Ability to effectively exchange information in a time sensitive environment
- Ability to manage multiple time sensitive priorities
- Ability to work independently as well within in a team, under pressure
- Ability to think critically and solve complex problems
- Strong record keeping and organizational skills
- Ability to build and maintain working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism at all times
Conditions of Employment:
Conditions of Offer
- Required to accept day travel on short notice; (occasional)
- Required to accept overnight travel on short notice (occasional)
- Required to accept work or travel outside normal office hours (occasional)
- Acknowledges requirements for use of a private vehicle (with business insurance)
Information for Applications
For more information about this opportunity please call: Glenn Branton.
- The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador values diversity in the work place and is an equal opportunity employer.
- Disability related accommodations and alternate formats are available upon request at any stage of the recruitment process by contacting email@example.com, 709-729-0130 or toll free at 1-888-729-7690.
- Preference will be given to applicants who are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada or those who are legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Applications must be received on or before the closing date stated for this job posting.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to submit an application that demonstrates the required merit criteria.
- Applications that do not clearly demonstrate the required criteria will be screened-out.
- All applications must contain accurate contact information, including current mailing address, email address and phone number.
- All information submitted as part of this application must be factual, complete and current to date of submission.
- This competition may be used to fill future similar vacancies with the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador.
How to Apply
Click the Apply Now button below to submit your application. Please ensure your application clearly references the competition number ECC.23.24.0817. First-time users will be required to create a user profile before applying. Use the Print button below to print a copy of this advertisement. A copy of the advertisement will be helpful in preparing for assessment.