Employment Opportunity: LEGAL ADJUSTER – WorkplaceNL
Competition Number: 22 30 01
Employment Type: Permanent, Full Time
Position Status: Bargaining (NAPE)
Location: St. John’s, NL
Closing Date: August 26, 2022
Salary Scale: $65,984 – $72,797 (516 Hay Points)
At WorkplaceNL, we work with employers, stakeholders, and our community partners to provide occupational health and safety education and help prevent workplace injuries and illnesses in Newfoundland and Labrador. We also provide compensation and support to injured workers and their employers during their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work.
We are currently looking to add a Legal Adjuster to work as a critical team member in our Legal Department. You will be responsible for investigating all potential third-party claims identified by the Entitlement Division to determine if there is a viable third-party action. This position is responsible for gathering evidence, presentation of claims and negotiating settlements of third-party claims.
You will manage a high volume of claims ranging in complexity and value. You will have the authority to present, negotiate and settle claims up to $75,000. This requires review of file information, especially medical reports, research of similar cases, synthesis and summary of information into claims presentation and then negotiation of settlement. For claims in excess of $75,000, this position prepares the draft claims presentation and other documentations for review and sign-off by Legal Counsel. This requires excellent writing and analytical skills.
More about this role
- Negotiates settlement of third party claims to effect fair, early settlements. This position requires the skills of an investigator and negotiator when dealing with third party claims.
- Investigates all potential third-party claims including all fatalities reported to WorkplaceNL. The position gathers relevant information pertaining to causation and the existence of third parties. This includes evidence gathering through statement taking, telephone discussions, meetings with various sources and review of documentation.
- Determines whether there is a worthwhile cause of action against a third party as per policy EN-08. This involves analysis of complex fact situations to identify an individual’s status under the Act and to assess the financial viability of legal action.
- Prepares claims presentations outlining the amount of settlement sought and engages in negotiation with the insurer to obtain settlement funds. This position assists in the preparation and attendance in discoveries, mediations and settlement conferences to obtain a fair and equitable settlement.
Ideal Qualifications – Experience and an educational equivalency will be considered
- Chartered Insurance Professional/Associate of the Insurance Institute of Canada and be a licensed Level IV Adjuster (Required; no equivalency considered for this designation).
- Minimum of five years’ experience in Section A Bodily Injury insurance adjusting.
- High level of demonstrated communications skills and strong abilities to work with others.
- High level of skill in time management, organizing and ability to multi-task within deadlines.
- A vehicle and valid driver’s license are conditions of employment.
Why work with us
We offer a comprehensive rewards package that includes competitive compensation, group health, dental and vision benefits, as well as a generous paid leave program and enrollment in the Public Service Pension Plan.
Our team members can also take advantage of flexible work arrangements, opportunities for training, growth and career advancement in a safe and welcoming environment.
Successful applicants must be eligible to work in Canada. This position is located in our St. John’s office and while we offer employees a hybrid remote-work program, successful applicants must be available to work on-site part-time each week.
If you are interested in this challenging career opportunity, send your resume and cover letter (Microsoft Word or PDF format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the competition title and number in the subject line of your email.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.workplacenl.ca.