Employment Opportunity: Legal Counsel – Massage Addict
About Massage Addict
Canadian owned and operated, Massage Addict is Canada’s first and largest membership-based health and wellness destination. When the brand launched in Nova Scotia in 2008, it began as one-clinic with one service offering—Massage Therapy.
Over the years the brand has evolved. Today, Massage Addict has over 115 locations across Canada and is a brand known for high-quality therapeutic treatments and exceptional client experience. Our therapeutic service offering has also grown and our clinics now offer four services for clients to choose from: Massage Therapy, Chiropractic Care, Acupuncture and Reflexology. These services were carefully selected to support the needs of Massage Addict clients. Unlike a spa, Massage Addict clients visit primarily for pain management and relief from stress and anxiety.
About the Role
While the role will be focused primarily on Massage Addict, there are two additional Canadian Owned and Operated brands, under the umbrella of the Executive Team that will require legal guidance and support. One is a fully functioning brand in the food space, and one will be an additional brand within Health and Wellness. While the responsibilities of the role will transition through the Brands seamlessly, there is diversity and learnings in the industries in which each of the brands operate.
The role of Vice-President Legal Affairs and Corporate Counsel at Massage Addict presents an exciting opportunity to work with the Senior Executive team of a rapidly growing Company. Candidates should have excellent research and writing skills, thrive in a collaborative, fast paced environment and must be familiar with all aspects of Canadian Franchise law.
Candidates need to have excellent communication (verbal and written), strong business acumen, problem-solving skills and legal judgment; must have exceptional organizational skills and successfully achieve deadline-driven results that effectively achieve business objectives; proven ability to be open to change and agile in a dynamic environment; strong sense of urgency; proactive self-starter with a willingness and ability to alternatively assume ‘first chair’ legal role in the negotiation, preparation and review of a wide range of franchise, commercial, real estate and transactional matters.
In addition, the successful candidate must have a willingness and desire to learn and understand the Company’s various paramedical services / regulations and drive results; be a solid team player with strong interpersonal skills and a proven ability to collaborate and deal effectively with others.
- Manage the execution of all Franchise related documents including Franchise Disclosure Documents, new Franchise Agreements and transfers and Franchise Agreement renewals;• Reviews and advises on all retail location leases;• Acts as legal advisor and drafts agreements in relation to retail store acquisitions and other strategic partnerships; Provides expert legal advice as it relates to the corporation’s clinical operations;
- Oversees legal and regulatory research in support of business initiatives;
- Acts as legal advisor on business transactions;
- Ensures that the company’s assets and reputation are protected in all transactions and actively mitigates any risk thereto through collaboration with business leaders and other stakeholders;
- Manages the provision of outside legal services and acts as liaison with stakeholders as needed;
- Participates in cross-functional initiatives and projects, such as new services and products;
- Monitors clinic operations compliance with legal and administrative policies, rules, regulations and laws and stays abreast of related developments;
- Drafts, reviews, and negotiates a broad range of commercial agreements, memos, opinions and other legal documents related to our retail businesses;
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Member of the Bar, with 3 to 6 years franchise and corporate, commercial or M&A experience acquired in private practice and/or in-house.
- Relevant experience in the health or service retail sectors and familiarity with regulated environments.
- Proven leadership ability, including ability to build relationships across different groups of stakeholders.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Consistently demonstrates the highest professional integrity.
- Professional, pragmatic, enthusiastic and organized, with sound decision-making skills, capable of functioning effectively in a fast-paced environment
Applicants can apply to Fraser Clarke, CEO Massage Addict, email@example.com