Employment Opportunity: Legal Counsel – Nunatsiavut Government
Location: Nunatsiavut/ HVGB
Term: Permanent Full-Time
Closing Date: September 28, 2022
- Provide legal advice and support to the NG and the Nunatsiavut Assembly on a variety of legal issues including lands and natural resources, governmental affairs, public and administrative law, procurement, Indigenous rights, and environmental law;
- Assist senior Government staff in the development and preparation of legislation, subordinate legislation, policies, and directives, including research and drafting;
- Write agreements, contracts, permits, authorizations, and legal documents of all types;
- Advise on interpretation and implementation of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement;
- Conduct legal research, strategic analysis, and risk evaluation and mitigation;
- Assist with negotiations and dispute resolution such as arbitration and mediation;
- Handle legal proceedings in which the NG is involved including civil and regulatory proceedings, environmental assessments, judicial reviews, inquiries and proceedings before boards, commissions and tribunals, parliamentary hearings, and proceedings in relation to offences under Inuit laws;
- Advise on national, provincial, and international laws, policies, and initiatives in relation to Indigenous peoples and with respect to Indigenous Rights.
- Travel as required
- Bachelor of Laws or JD from a recognized University
- Member of Newfoundland and Labrador Law Society
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Bilingual in Inuttitut and English
- Preference given to Beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement
- The Nunatsiavut Government is an equal opportunity employer however preference will be given to beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement.
Applicants are asked to clearly state their Nunatsiavut beneficiary number on their cover letter or resume when applying.
Applications should be forwarded before 4:30pm on September 28, 2022
View the full posting [here].