Employment Opportunity: Legal Counsel – Nunatsiavut Government
Nunatsiavut (Nain, Hopedale, Postville, Makkovik, Rigolet) or Happy Valley Goose Bay
June 8, 2023
- Provide legal advice and support to the NG and the Nunatsiavut Assembly on a variety of legal issues including lands and natural resources, governmental affairs, public and administrative law, procurement, Indigenous rights, and environmental law;
- Assist senior Government staff in the development and preparation of legislation, subordinate legislation, policies
and directives, including research and drafting;
- Write agreements, contracts, permits, authorizations and legal documents of all types;
- Advise on interpretation and implementation of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement;
- Conduct legal research, strategic analysis and risk evaluation and mitigation;
- Assist with negotiations and dispute resolution such as arbitration and mediation;
- Handle legal proceedings in which the NG is involved including civil and regulatory proceedings, environmental
assessments, judicial reviews, inquiries and proceedings before boards, commissions and tribunals, parliamentary
hearings, and proceedings in relation to offences under Inuit laws;
- Advise on national, provincial and international laws, policies and initiatives in relation to Indigenous peoples and
with respect to Indigenous Rights.
- Travel as required
- Bachelor of Laws or JD from a recognized University
- Member of Newfoundland and Labrador Law Society
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Bilingual in Inuktitut and English
The Nunatsiavut Government is an equal opportunity employer however preference will be given to beneficiaries of the Labrador Inuit Land Claims Agreement. Applicants are asked to clearly state their Nunatsiavut beneficiary number on their cover letter or resume when applying.
Applications should be forwarded before 4:30pm on closing day.