Employment Opportunity: LEGAL OFFICER (FAMILY DIVISION) – SUPREME COURT OF NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR
The Supreme Court of Newfoundland and Labrador is looking for a Legal Officer for the Family Division.
Duties: The Legal Officer is responsible for providing assistance to the judges of the Supreme Court. This involves:
- reviewing files, both pre and post hearing, and preparing preliminary briefings on points of law;
- preparing bench and research memoranda;
- assisting judges in reviewing cases;
- attending court to listen to arguments and completing related research when requested;
- participating in meetings and discussions with the judges;
- participating in the organization and co-ordination of special projects;
- assisting in the preparation of materials for judges’ seminars and related issues;
- assisting in the drafting of court rules and forms;
- responding to inquiries from Registry staff; and
- performing such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications: The successful candidate must be, or be eligible to become, a member in good standing of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador. The successful candidate will possess excellent written and oral communication skills, strong legal research skills, superior organizational skills and an exceptional ability to identify and analyze problems. Demonstrated interpersonal skills are also essential. A security clearance is required.
Location: St. John’s, NL
Salary: GNL Solicitor’s pay-scale (Sol. 1, Step 3 – Sol. 2, Step 5)
Term: One-year contract, with possibility of extension.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are requested to email a résumé, law school transcripts, and the names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references before 5:00 pm on June 12, 2023 to email@example.com.