Employment Opportunity: Legal Research Officer (LF1-3) – Manitoba Court of Appeal
Regular/full-time Manitoba Justice Judicial Services, Courts Winnipeg MB
Advertisement Number: 40572
Salary(s): LF1-3 $80,191.00 – $158,529.00 per year
Closing Date: February 20, 2023
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to women, Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 12 months.
The Legal Research Officer reports to the Chief Justice of Manitoba and administratively to the Executive Director, Judicial Services. Direction on work assignments is given directly by all Justices of the Court of Appeal. The Executive Director, Judicial Services will provide instruction and direction on divisional and departmental policies and protocols. The Legal Research Officer of the Court of Appeal performs confidential legal research for the Court of Appeal.
Applicants must provide a sample document or excerpt (minimum 10 pages, maximum 20) along with their resume, which best demonstrates their legal research, analytical and writing skills. We will be using this document to assess clear and concise legal writing style. Submissions without this document will not be considered.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Member or eligible for immediate membership in the Law Society of Manitoba Satisfactory enhanced security screening
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Search
- Experience in undertaking lengthy and complicated legal research and providing detailed memoranda and legal opinions. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Clear and concise legal writing style.
- Superior organizational skills with the ability to work independently and effectively to meet short deadlines and long term projects.
- Understanding of and respect for the principles of judicial independence.
- Knowledge and/or experience with legal libraries and online information retrieval platforms including Westlaw, Lexis Advance, Quicklaw, and CanLII.
- In depth knowledge of proper case and statute citation standards in accordance with guidelines as outlined in the Canadian Guide to Uniform Legal Citation (McGill).
- Knowledge and experience with MS Office, including Word and Outlook.
- Fluency in French
The successful candidate will perform confidential legal research for the Justices of the Court of Appeal. The successful candidate works under the day to day direction of the Senior Legal Research Officer who will delegate and supervise work as required.
Research will be assigned both before and after the hearing of an appeal. Researching the laws of Canada and other jurisdictions, particularly the English Commonwealth and United States.
Advertisement # 40572
Service Centre 1
Human Resource Services
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions for represented positions may be grieved by internal represented applicants. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted