Employment Opportunity: Litigation Clerk – Aviva Trial Lawyers
Individually we are people, but together we are Aviva. Individually these are just words, but together they are our Values – Care, Commitment, Community, and Confidence.
Aviva Trial Lawyers is currently seeking a Litigation Clerk for our St. Johns office. As a Litigation Clerk you will be responsible for supporting our lawyers in the handling of insurance defence (tort) litigation matters. In this position, you will be responsible for various clerking tasks as well as the day-to-day file management.
What you’ll do:
- Preparation and drafting of correspondence, pleadings and legal documents (eg. Drafting of defences, applications, orders, compiling and preparing lists of documents. Preparation of pre-trial/ trial and mediation briefs and various other legal documents. Ensuring all appropriate documents and forms are filed with the court in accordance with the Rules of Court
- Compilation of books of authorities/factums
- Preparing and following up with requests for productions and undertakings
- Summarizing discovery notes, transcripts, economic loss and medical reports
- Arranging investigations/surveillance, including preparing various instruction letters to investigators
- Arranging independent medical examinations, including drafting and preparing the medical briefs
- Dicta-typing; filing; keeping lawyer’s calendar updated; and updating internal database
- Requisitioning cheques
- Maintaining file organization
- Booking travel; including flights, cars and hotels as needed
- Ensure integrity of information in the case management applications
- Liaise between counsel, external parties, and claims operations
What you’ll bring:
- Minimum of 5+ years of legal assistant and law clerk experience in an insurance defence or personal injury litigation environment
- Post-secondary accreditation for legal assistant or law clerk, or equivalent experience preferred
- Excellent computer skills including experience with MS Word, ACL, and Outlook
- Proficient in the Rules of Civil Procedure and Court forms
- Customer-service oriented with superb communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail with a desire to take initiative
- Able to work independently with minimal direction and as part of a team
- Mature work ethic and good sense of humour
What you’ll get:
- Compelling rewards package including base salary, eligibility for annual bonus, paid vacation, retirement savings, share plan, health benefits, personal wellness account, and 3 paid volunteer days per year.
- Our vacation package starts at 4 weeks !
- Outstanding Career Development
- Paid professional development education (Controlled Insurance Program designation)
- Corporate wellness programs to support our employees’ physical and mental health
Aviva Canada has an accommodation process in place to provide accommodations for employees with disabilities. If upon commencement of employment you require a specific accommodation because of a disability, please contact your Talent Acquisition Partner so that an appropriate accommodation can be arranged. This process applies throughout your career with Aviva Canada.
Interested applicants can apply through the following link: