Employment Opportunity: LITIGATION REVIEW ASSOCIATE, EDISCOVERY (TORYS LSC, HALIFAX)
POSITION OVERVIEW & KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
Torys’ Legal Services Centre (LSC) in Halifax is looking for a Litigation Review Associate who will have a supervisory role as part of Torys’ eDiscovery services group. Working closely with a team of legal professionals and eDiscovery technology specialists at the LSC and our other Torys offices, the incumbent will be responsible for:
- managing and conducting electronic evidence reviews in complex litigation, competition, privacy, regulatory investigations, and tax matters in Relativity’s eDiscovery application;
- coordinating and overseeing a litigation review team from the LSC;
- providing Document Review Project Management support, including case management, task assignment/execution, financial management and project data tracking;
- overseeing and quality-checking review and coding decisions of document review teams for relevance, responsiveness, privilege and legal issues;
- training review teams at project kick-off and on an as-needed basis;
- liaising with litigators on substantive legal issues relating to the evidence;
- analyzing and distilling data to aid the legal team in either supporting or refuting the facts and allegations in investigations or complex litigation;
- collaborating with legal teams, law clerks and eDiscovery analysts on review workflows and
- providing substantive review support, including quality control, on outsourced reviews to ensure successful project execution and service delivery to the department at the highest level;
- working the litigation lawyers and the litigation services teams to develop and implement
eDiscovery best practices with respect to technology utilization and outside vendor engagement to maximize efficiencies and reduce client costs; and
- helping develop the eDiscovery workstream and processes.
The LSC is Torys’ hub for high-volume and recurring legal work. We use technology, tools and processes to help our clients meet their goals efficiently and cost-effectively. Located in a bright, open-concept office in downtown Halifax, the LSC offers flexible work arrangements and competitive compensation without billable hours targets or business development requirements.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
This role is ideal for you if you:
- are looking for a non-partner track career at a premier law firm without having to engage in
marketing or business development activities or to achieve billable hours targets;
- have minimum 5 years of post-call litigation experience, including 1-2 years’ experience
managing document reviews in the context of civil litigation, regulatory investigations or
competition matters, and be in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario or the Nova
Scotia’s Barristers’ Society;
- have experience with one or more industry-leading eDiscovery document review software tools and platforms, preferably Relativity;
- have working knowledge of the Electronic Discovery Reference Model (EDRM);
- have experience leading teams and possess exceptional interpersonal skills and a commitment to shared success working across offices and with a broad range of legal and administrative professionals;
- are highly organized, self-motivated and proactive, eager to take ownership of projects and able to advance work independently;
- have excellent problem-solving skills combined with attention to detail and thoroughness;
- have strong analytical and drafting skills;have strong written and oral communication skills;
- are flexible when managing multiple projects and competing demands efficiently, and are able to adapt to changing priorities and demanding deadlines;
- have a strong work ethic, and be able to work flexible hours when required to meet client demands; and
- are competent in the use of Microsoft Office and other Microsoft applications.
The ability to read/write French would be considered an asset.
We will provide the training and support you need to succeed in this role.
If this describes you – or someone you know – we’d love to hear from you – or them!
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Director, Professional Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require immediate accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kim Sheldrake-Head.