Employment Opportunity: Staff Solicitor – Legal Aid NL (MHO)
Legal Aid NL is proud to provide an innovative and collaborative legal aid system that responds to the needs of low income persons. Our services promote access to justice through the provision of quality legal assistance for criminal, family and some administrative law matters. Legal services are provided through a staff based delivery model via eleven full service offices, five project offices and duty counsel services province wide.
We are currently seeking Expressions of Interest from qualified applicants to fill a 12 month contractual Staff Solicitor position within the Mental Health Office.
The successful candidate will have a wide range of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- representing clients participating in Mental Health Court and Drug Treatment Court at Provincial Court in St. John’s
- representing clients found unfit and not criminally responsible with matters before the Newfoundland and Labrador Review Board
- representing clients with matters before the Mental Health Care and Treatment Review Board
- conducting hearings, trials and appeals related to criminal matters
- providing advice to Legal Aid colleagues on matters involving serious mental health and addictions issues
- addressing legal problems which are complex and unique and require initiative, creativity, research and self-direction
- ensuring that legal services are provided in an effective and efficient manner in order to provide the highest level of service to clients
- providing Duty Counsel services
- carrying out other initiatives and projects as may be required
- travel maybe required
The successful candidate will hold a Law Degree from a recognized school of law, be a member in good standing or, be able to become, a member in good standing with the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador. Candidate must have demonstrated experience dealing with clients who have serious mental health and addiction issues. Candidate must have strong verbal and written communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, and the ability to handle difficult situations and problem solve as needed. Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail is a must, along with a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative. Additionally, the candidate must possess a positive attitude, a passion for providing service and high standards of ethics, professionalism and confidentiality and a demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast paced and challenging legal environment.
The successful candidate will be required to provide a Certificate of Conduct with Vulnerable Sector Check.
Employees of Legal Aid NL are covered under the Provincial Government Pension Plan and Health Plan. An optional Dental Plan and Disability Plan are also available. The salary range for this position is $53,375 – $136,927 (under review), in accordance with the Solicitor Pay Plan.
Interested applicants should send resumes to email@example.com no later than 4:00pm on Wednesday May 24th, 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Applicants should note that once the vacancy is filled, a list of qualified candidates will be established and maybe used to fill any further vacancies within other Legal Aid NL offices within a 6 month period.