Job Opportunity – Staff Solicitor – Legal Aid NL
Legal Aid NL is proud to provide an innovative and collaborative legal aid system that responds to the needs of low income persons. Our services promote access to justice through the provision of quality legal assistance for criminal, family and some administrative law matters.
We are currently seeking a Staff Solicitor to fill a vacancy our Provincial Special Defence Unit.
The successful candidate will have a wide range of responsibilities including but not limited to:
- conducting hearings, trials (including jury trials) and appeals related to criminal matters, including major cases such as homicide etc.
- providing legal opinions on criminal law matters
- addressing legal problems which are complex and unique and require initiative, creativity, research and self-direction
- providing Brydges and Duty Counsel services to persons arrested, detained or being questioned by the police for major cases such as homicide
- taking carriage of complex files on short notice which may require travel to various locations, including overnight stays
- ensuring that legal services are provided in an effective and efficient manner in order to provide the highest level of service to clients
- training and mentoring other staff solicitors in handling of major criminal cases
- carrying out other initiatives and projects as may be required
Interested applicants can apply at email@example.com
Closing date: October 30, 2020