NOTICE OF ADJUDICATION TRIBUNAL DECISION AND DISBARMENT
By Order of an Adjudication Tribunal of the Disciplinary Panel of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador dated November 27, 2023, Averill Baker has been disbarred. As a result, Averill Baker has been struck from the Roll of Barristers in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador and all her rights and privileges as a member of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador have ceased.
Averill Baker practiced with Baker Law Office at 83 Goodridge Street, St. John’s, NL.
The conduct that was found to be deserving of sanction included:
- Failure to respond to a trust audit report;
- Failure to respond to communications from the Law Society;
- Failure to maintain the safety and confidentiality of files, and ensure the privacy and safekeeping of clients’ confidential information;
- Failure to move client matters forward or respond to client inquiries within a reasonable time;
- Failure to be honest and candid with a client;
- Failure to return a client’s file; and
- Used an unprofessional tone and was misleading in some communications with a client.
The Adjudication Tribunal ordered:
- The Respondent, Averill Baker, be disbarred.
- The Respondent, Averill Baker, is ungovernable.
- The Respondent, Averill Baker, pay costs to the Law Society in the amount of $9,350.00 plus disbursements within 12 months of the decision dated November 27, 2023.
Posted: January 3, 2024