NOTICE OF ADJUDICATION TRIBUNAL DECISION AND DISBARMENT
By Order of an Adjudication Tribunal of the Disciplinary Panel of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador, H. Edmund Montague has been disbarred. H. Edmund Montague is struck from the Roll of Barristers in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador and all his rights and privileges as a member of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador have ceased.
- Edmund Montague practiced with Edmund Montague Law Office at 1365 Nichols-Adam Highway, Labrador City, NL and Legal Aid NL, Wabush Plaza, Wabush, NL.
The conduct that was found to be deserving of sanction occurred at Labrador City during the period 2018 through 2020.
The conduct included failure to commence the work for which he was retained in a timely manner, failure to provide his client’s retainer to the client’s new counsel when requested to do so, failure to be honest and candid with his client, and failure to provide a quality of service at least equal to that which lawyers generally expect of a competent lawyer in a like situation.
The Adjudication Tribunal Ordered:
- That the Respondent, H. Edmund Montague, be disbarred;
- That the Respondent pay the Law Society a total of $5,784.40 calculated as follows:
- Expenses incurred by the Law Society in the investigation and hearing of the complaints in the amount of $2,500 plus disbursements; and,
- $3,284.40 paid by the Assurance Fund in relation to Complaint C2021-044.
- That this decision be published in accordance with Section 51.3 of the Law Society Act and should also be made available on the Law Society website, to CanLII, the Provincial and Supreme Courts of Newfoundland and Labrador, the appointed benchers and members of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador following the expiry of the statutory 30-day appeal period.
- This Order shall take effect upon service in accordance with Law Society Rule 9.39.