Provincial court – What you need to know before coming to court
Issued: June 27, 2020
To help control the spread of COVID-19, please do not come to Provincial Court if you:
- have returned from outside the Province within the last 14 days.
- currently have symptoms of COVID-19.
- have been exposed to a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.
- signs and Symptoms of Illness
How to Find Your New Court Date
Before coming to Court, please check the Provincial Court Docket webpage to confirm your new Court date.
- Please visit https://docket.court.nl.ca/ and click the Schedule which applies to you, i.e., St. John’s, Gander, Corner Brook, and so on.
- When you find your new Court date, confirm this is your Court date by searching this date and looking for your name using the online Docket at the bottom of the webpage.
- If you cannot find your new Court date, please call your local Court Centre.
- If you have a matter scheduled for Happy Valley-Goose Bay Provincial Court or Wabush Provincial Court, please call (709) 896-7870.
If you have an enquiry regarding attendance, please call ahead using the numbers listed in the release.
What to Expect When you Arrive at Court
- Before being granted access to a Court centre, you will be required to answer a COVID-19 questionnaire about travel, symptoms and possible exposure to COVID-19.
- Please note that some Court centre doors will be locked and you may need to wait to be served.
- Once granted access, you will be required to wear a mask. If you did not bring a mask, a disposable mask will be provided. Please ensure you use hand sanitizer before touching this mask and use hand sanitizer again after you put on your mask.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided. Instructions on how to properly put on and take off a mask can be found at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cwuN03zKK8&feature=youtu.be, attached to this document and will be posted at the Court centre.
- Standing and sitting markers have been strategically placed throughout public spaces. Where no markers exist, please maintain six feet of distance between yourself and all other persons in the Court centre.
- When your matter is finished, please exit the Court centre following signage. Please do not remain at the Court centre unnecessarily.
- Water jugs will not be available while you are inside a courtroom. If you are a witness, providing testimony, etc., and you require water, please ask for water and it will be provided.
St. John’s Plea Day – Change of Venue
Please be advised that commencing July 2, 2020, Plea Day (normally held in Courtroom #5), will be heard on the 3rd floor of the Beothuck Building, located at 20 Crosbie Place, St. John’s, for mornings only. If you have an afternoon appearance scheduled in Courtroom #5, you will appear in Courtroom #5 in Atlantic Place in the afternoon.
Swearing-in/Affirmation of Witnesses
Witness will be directed to not touch or hold the item for swearing-in/affirmation, i.e., Bible, Eagle Feather, and so on. A Court Officer will perform this task from their workstation.
Safe Handling of Exhibits Protocol
If you are asked to examine an exhibit, please do so safely by using hand sanitizer before and after touching an exhibit. A Safe Handling of Exhibit protocol will be posted in the courtroom.