Reminder: Deadline to file CLE Annual Report – January 31, 2018
Reminder: Deadline for filing the CLE Annual Report is January 31, 2018
Benchers have recently approved certain amendments to the Mandatory CLE Requirements and Rule 6.20. These revised documents can be reviewed by clicking the following links:
Notable changes include the following:
- Commencing in 2018, members will be able to submit details regarding their CLE activities between January 1st and December 31st during the calendar year that they were completed.
2. Members will no longer be required to complete and submit a CLE Plan.
3. There is no longer a cap on the number of hours that a member can claim for time spent reviewing recorded courses or seminars, provided that the recording is not more than 365 days old at the time of viewing.
4. Members who maintain practicing status but are not engaged in the practice of law due to parental leave or a leave of absence due to illness may seek an exemption from the Requirements. Eligible members will be exempted from 1.25 hours of eligible CLE activities for every full calendar month in which they are on leave from practice in a calendar year.
Please note that the CLE Annual Report must be filed on-line through the Law Society’s Lawyer Portal. Please do not file a hard copy or a PDF file email attachment.
The method for submitting a CLE Report has also been simplified. The procedure is now as follows:
- Access the Law Society Portal
2. Enter your login details (reminder: your username is your Law Society Member number)
3. Hover your cursor over your name at the top right-hand corner of your screen and a drop-down menu will appear
4. Click “CLE”
5. Click “CLE Report” found on the left hand side of your screen
6. Ensure that you are viewing the correct reporting period, which is circled in red (note: members can now access previous reporting periods and the default view will be the current year; therefore if you are currently trying to enter information relating to 2017, you will need to click “2017”)
7. Enter the activity details
8. Click save
The member’s CLE Report will be automatically updated upon completion of the foregoing steps. A confirmation email will not be sent after a submission has been completed. Members can determine how many CLE hours they have left to complete by referring to the “Additional Hours Required” line item in the table found at the bottom of this web page.
Please note that members are required to have their CLE Report completed no later than January 31, 2018. Should you have any questions regarding the foregoing, please do not hesitate to contact Regina Whitty or Christian Hurley at your convenience.