Legal Aid Alberta has assembled an expert panel of speakers to cover a variety of topics relating to mental health and the criminal code on Nov. 22, 2022, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. (MT).
- Forensic psychiatry for lawyers – A crash course in terminology and key concepts
- Understanding (and challenging) risk assessments
- Forensic psychiatry and sex offenders: What lawyers need to know (risk, treatment, etc.)
- The law of fitness and NCRMD (i.e. what comes before the Review Board)
- Introduction to practice at the Alberta Review Board
- Introduction to the Mental Health Act and Mental Health Review Panel process
- Mental Health Court & practice tips for working with mentally ill clients
- Trauma informed practice
- Judge Michelle Collinson, Provincial Court of Alberta
- Dr. Raheed Syed, MD, FRCPC, Forensic Psychiatrist, Alberta Health Services
- Alexandra Seaman, Defence Counsel, DDSG Criminal Law
- Amna Qureshi, Staff Lawyer, Legal Aid Alberta
- Andrew Holko, Staff Lawyer, Legal Aid Alberta
Register to attend this free event online.