Employment Opportunity: Legal Counsel – WorkplaceNL
As WorkplaceNL’s Legal Counsel (Solicitor Scale SL-03) you will be accountable for our corporate interests through the performance of general legal work of a diverse nature. You will also provide advice and training to employees and management teams as required.
- Advises on general legal matters including corporate and commercial, constitutional, criminal, human rights, privacy, employment and labour relations.
- Provides legal advice for the effective administration of the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Act including the development and interpretation of legislation, policies and procedures.
- Attends hearings at the Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Review Division.
- Represents WorkplaceNL at all levels of court in diverse matters, including civil litigation in third party matters, applications for judicial review, debt collection, etc.
- Investigates and researches legal and factual issues, drafts necessary legal documents, develops conclusions/recommendations and advises on quasi-judicial determinations.
- Negotiates maximum recovery for WorkplaceNL on third party matters. When a worker elects compensation, Legal Counsel determines whether there is a worthwhile cause of action to pursue. You will be responsible for giving guidance to the Legal Adjuster on third party matters.
- Serves as WorkplaceNL’s Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Coordinator. This designation requires comprehensive expertise in the Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (ATIPPA) as it relates to WorkplaceNL’s obligations.
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Membership in the Law Society of Newfoundland & Labrador combined with a minimum of three years’ experience.
- Experience in administrative law, with particular emphasis on judicial review.
- Experience in personal injury tort matters and related court experience.
What does success look like in this role?
- Provides timely and specialized legal advice as necessary.
- Acts in the best interest of WorkplaceNL.
- Works collaboratively as a member of the Legal Department to support WorkplaceNL’s organizational goals.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
For more information, please visit www.workplacenl.ca