EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: SOLICITOR – DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND PUBLIC SAFETY
Solicitor – Permanent
Royal Newfoundland Constabulary – St. John’s, NL.
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is seeking a lawyer to join the RNC Executive in the Legal Services Division.
DUTIES: Reporting directly to the Chief of Police, this highly responsible legal position is accountable for providing timely advice and general legal representation for the Chief of Police respecting legal issues arising from civil litigation, ATIPPA, public complaints, discipline, legal training and other civil/administrative law matters. The legal services provided by Counsel for the Chief of Police include:
- Advising the Chief of Police respecting the administration of the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Act, 1992 and the Regulations enacted thereunder;
- Representing the Chief of Police at disciplinary and public complaint administrative hearings conducted under the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Regulations and the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary Public Complaint Regulations;
- Providing legal advice/representation of the Chief of Police respecting issues related to the release of information;
- Providing legal opinions/advice for the Chief of Police, RNC Executive and Senior Management respecting RNC policy development, training, operational and personnel issues;
- Conducting training sessions for Senior Management and/or operational personnel and recruits as need be respecting relevant and/or new/developing case law/legislation
- Completion of a Law Degree
- Member (or eligibility for membership) of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Experience in criminal law/administrative law
- Experience with policy and legislative analysis
- Knowledge of Criminal Law/Administrative Law
- Policy and legislative analysis skills
- Legal Research skills
- Stakeholder engagement skills
- Facilitation skills
- Ability to make decisions
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Relationship buildin
Conditions of Employment
- Recent and satisfactory enhanced security clearance
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license
Conditions of Acceptance
- Overtime (occasional),
OTHER BENEFITS: The Government of Newfoundland and Labrador offers a competitive benefit package that includes paid leave, pension plan and health plan.
SALARY: Within Solicitor’s Pay Plan
Please submit applications to Chief Patrick Roche, Chief of Police, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Recruitment related inquiries may be made to 729-8155.
Applications will accepted until 30 November 2023.