Expressions of Interest – Bencher Vacancy in the Labrador District
The Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador is seeking expressions of interest from members interested in filling an upcoming Bencher vacancy in the Labrador district.
Adrienne Edmunds will be resigning as a Bencher effective October 15, 2021. The Law Society Act, 1999, provides that Benchers must appoint a person to fill the vacancy. Any interested member in good standing, who is practicing and residing in the Labrador District, should submit their name and a brief outline of their qualifications by October 15, 2021. Subject to eligibility, Benchers will appoint one of these individuals to fill the vacancy until June 2022, at which time the person appointed can stand for election for a four-year term.
When considering whether to send an expression of interest, we ask that you reflect upon the following key attributes that contribute to effective decision making:
- The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them;
- Possession of earned respect of key stakeholder group members, including, but not limited to, the public and the members;
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the duty to act with due care, diligence and skill, honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the Law Society;
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”;
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity and honesty; and
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the Law Society’s mandate, governing legislation, policies and procedures.
Any interested member in the Labrador District is asked to send their expression of interest to Erin Rowe at email@example.com by Friday, October 15, 2021.