NOMINATIONS FOR ELECTION OF BENCHERS
The Law Society is seeking nominations for the four (4) vacancies in the Eastern District which will be created by the expiry of terms in June 2021 of the following elective Benchers:
*** both Scott Worsfold and Lauren Chafe are eligible to seek re-election
Interested members of the Law Society who, in accordance with s. 11 of the Law Society Act, 1999, are in good standing and practising and resident in the Eastern District should file completed nomination papers in form 4.01A (attached) with the Executive Director at the Law Society offices no later than 5:00 pm, Monday, 5 April 2021.
When considering whether to stand for election, we ask that you reflect upon the following key attributes that contribute to effective decision making:
- The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them;
- Possession of earned respect of key stakeholder group members, including, but not limited to, the public and the members;
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the duty to act with due care, diligence and skill, honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the Law Society;
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”;
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty; and
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the Law Society’s mandate, governing legislation, policies and procedure.
The remaining Elective Benchers are:
John Hogan, QC
Desmond Jagger Parsons
Jamie Merrigan, QC
Brenda Duffy, QC
The election results will be announced at the Law Society Annual General Meeting on 4 June 2021.