Provincial Court Operations – Stephenville
To protect the health and safety of all court users while ensuring respect for the legal rights of accused persons and civil litigants, the Provincial Court of Newfoundland and Labrador is limiting all regular operations, effective Monday, May 31, 2021 to Friday, June 4, 2021, inclusive.
As of Monday, May 31, 2021, public access to the Provincial Court in Stephenville will be unavailable. If you require assistance for a mandatory/urgent matter, please call the telephone number included in the notice and a decision will be made if your matter will be processed at that time.
ADULT AND YOUTH CRIMINAL CASES
All adult and youth criminal appearances, trials, hearings, and sentencings (for those persons who are not in custody), for the period Monday, May 31, 2021 to Friday, June 4, 2021, inclusive, will be rescheduled one (1) week from the date of the scheduled court appearance or the next court date thereafter, unless otherwise notified by the Court.
The Court will adjourn your matter without you being present using a Court Order called a “bench warrant with discretion” which will require you to attend Court on the new date. Your new Court
date will be posted on the website when available.
There will be no in-person hearings. The Court will make full use of video and audio technology to effectively address criminal matters involving accused persons who are in custody to ensure the following matters will proceed, where possible:
- Bail hearings;
- Virtual appearances from Correctional Institutions;
- Preliminary inquiries and trials; and,
- Youth criminal sentence reviews.
WARRANTS AND JUDICIAL AUTHORIZATIONS
The Court will be available to process warrants and judicial authorizations in the region.
Civil matters set to proceed from Monday, May 31, 2021 to Friday, June 4, 2021, inclusive, will be adjourned indefinitely and parties will be contacted by the Court about rescheduled dates.
Small Claims filings may be made via mail, fax or online (e-filing) at https://provincial.efile.court.nl.ca/
TRAFFIC COURT AND CONTRAVENTIONS ACT CASES
Traffic Court and Contraventions Act matters set to proceed Monday, May 31, 2021 to Friday, June 4, 2021, inclusive, will be adjourned indefinitely and parties will be contacted by the Court about rescheduled dates.
- Fine payments can be made to Fines Administration by phone, online at https://www.gov.nl.ca/pay-online/ or by mail (see back of ticket). Payments may also be made to Provincial Court by mail only. Do not mail cash.
- Time to Pay extensions, adjournment requests and not guilty pleas can be made by contacting the local courthouse by mail, e-mail or fax.
- If you fail to notify the requisite court location of your intention to contest a matter by mail, e-mail or fax you will be convicted in your absence.