Reminder: Notice to Members – Bencher vacancy (Eastern District)
We are seeking expressions of interest from members who are interested in filling a vacancy on Benchers. Joan Dawson (Eastern District) has resigned as a Bencher effective 26 September 2019.
The Law Society Act, 1999, provides that Benchers must appoint a person to fill the vacancy, therefore, the Law Society is seeking Expressions of Interest for this appointment. Any member in good standing, practicing and residing in the Eastern District who is interested, should submit their name and a short synopsis outlining their qualifications by Friday, 18 October 2019. Subject to eligibility, Benchers will appoint one of these individuals to fill the vacancy until June 2020, at which time the person appointed can stand for election for a four year term.
We ask that you reflect upon the following key attributes of Benchers that contribute to effective decision making:
1. The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them;
2. Possession of earned respect of key stakeholder group members, including, but not limited to, the public and the members;
3. The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the duty to act with due care, diligence and skill, honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the Law Society;
4. Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”;
5. Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty; and
6. A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the Law Society’s mandate, governing legislation, policies and procedure.
Any member in the Eastern District who is interested, is asked to contact the Law Society via reply to this e-mail by Friday, 18 October 2019.