Second Reminder – Nominations for Election of Benchers
This message is provided to all members respecting the election of Benchers of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador. The election results will be announced at the Law Society Annual General Meeting on June 5, 2020.
Completed nomination papers in Form 4.01A must be filed with the Executive Director at the Law Society offices no later than 5:00 pm, Monday, April 6, 2020.
Under s. 11 of the Law Society Act, 1999, to be eligible for nomination to Benchers a member must be in good standing with the Law Society.
When considering nominations and election, we ask that you reflect upon the following key attributes of Benchers that contribute to effective decision making:
- The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them;
- Possession of earned respect of key stakeholder group members, including, but not limited to, the public and the members;
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the duty to act with due care, diligence and skill, honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the Law Society;
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”;
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty; and
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the Law Society’s mandate, governing legislation, policies and procedure.
This year, there are 6 vacancies to be filled. The following will be elected:
- Four (4) members of the Society in good standing and practising and resident in the Eastern District;
- One (1) member of the Society in good standing and practising and resident in the Central District; and
- One (1) member of the Society in good standing and practising and resident in the Western District.
The elective Benchers whose terms expire in June, 2020, but are eligible to seek re-election are:
Desmond Jagger Parsons
The elective Benchers whose terms expire in June, 2020 and, having served two terms, are not eligible to seek re-election are:
The remaining Elective Benchers are:
Jamie Merrigan, QC