Law Society is Seeking Nominations for Bencher Vacancies
The Law Society is seeking nominations for the vacancies created by the expiry of terms as follows:
Eastern District – two (2)
- Rodney Zdebiak*
- Sheilagh Murphy, KC*
Central District – two (2)
- Renée Appleby, KC
- Desmond Parsons
* Rodney Zdebiak and Sheilagh Murphy, KC are eligible to seek election.
In accordance with s. 11 of the Law Society Act, 1999, interested members of the Law Society who are in good standing, practising, and are resident in either the Eastern or Central District, should file completed nomination papers in form 4.01A with the Executive Director at the Law Society offices no later than 5:00 pm, Monday, 10 April 2023.
When considering whether to nominate someone for or stand for election, please consider whether they or you have some, if not all, of the skills and attributes identified in the Skills Matrix. We also ask that you reflect upon the following key traits that contribute to effective decision making:
- The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them;
- Possession of earned respect of key stakeholder group members, including, but not limited to, the public and the members;
- The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the duty to act with due care, diligence and skill, honestly, in good faith and in the best interests of the Law Society;
- Demonstrated understanding of the differences between “oversight” and “supervision”;
- Earned reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty; and
- A demonstrated familiarity with the body of knowledge related to both the Law Society’s mandate, governing legislation, policies and procedure.
The remaining Elective Benchers are:
- Lauren Chafe
- Gladys Dunne, KC
- Valerie Hynes, KC
- Michael Ladha, KC
- Carey Majid, KC
- Suzanne Orsborn
- Alexander Templeton
- David Williams
- Scott Worsfold
- Douglas Wright
- Brenda Duffy, KC
- Dean Porter
- Jonathan Regan
The election results will be announced at the Law Society Annual General Meeting on 9 June 2023.