The SS Daisy Legal History Committee is a committee of the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador whose mandate is the preservation of Newfoundland and Labrador’s legal heritage, including the history of law, the courts, the lawyers and the Law Society. The name of the committee is taken from the government boat SS Daisy that carried lawyers, judges, sheriffs and clerks to the courts in smaller communities in pre-1949 Newfoundland.
The SS Daisy Legal History Committee works to date include taping and transcribing oral histories of senior members of the Bench and Bar, preserving the Barrister’s Roll which dates from 1826, and publishing the last volume of the Newfoundland Law Reports.
Showing 17–20 of 20 results
This volume traces the history of the Southern Circuit Court from its inception in 1826 to its demise in 1872, through an examination of the common law and statutory record. With the new century in the offing it also traces the reform efforts leading to the development of the streamlined judicial apparatus that would carry Newfoundland and Labrador into the 20th century.
Includes B&W and colour illustrations and photographs.Add to cart
This volume transcribes the decisions of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland for the period 1798-1803 from the Court’s Minute Books, and contains all the decisions of Chief Justice Richard Routh, Chief Justice Jonathan Ogden, and the decisions of (Chief) Surrogate Judge Thomas Tremlett.
Volume I also contains a representative sampling of memoranda and correspondence between Chief Justice Tremlett and Governor Gambier, as well as colonial letterbook correspondence between Governor Waldegrave and the Duke of Portland, which throw light on the administration of justice on the island during these formative years.Add to cart
These volumes transcribe the decisions of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland for the period 1798-1805 and contains the decisions of Richard Routh, Jonathan Ogden & Thomas Tremlett. Both volumes contain a comprehensive table of cases and a full index of names and places.
In addition, both volumes contain transcriptions of correspondence to and from the Colonial Office in London, with volume II containing the complete correspondence of complaints filed by the Society of St. John’s Merchants against Chief Justice Tremlett. These resulted in Justice Tremlett’s transfer from Newfoundland to Prince Edward Island and his replacement by Caesar Colclough, who had an equally troubled tenure on that island.Add to cart
The appointment of Justices of the Peace constituted the first attempt at year round governance on this island. It provided a form in which personal and, increasingly, commercial disputes could be arbitrated when the Governor and his surrogates were absent in the winter months…During the summer of 2002, the people of Placentia celebrated the 100th anniversary of the building of the present courthouse in Placentia. It was then the oldest wooden building in Newfoundland still in full time use as a courthouse. It replaced the courthouse that had been built in 1774. Illustrations throughout.Add to cart