banner banner

Requirements for Applicants with Non-Canadian Law Degrees

Legal qualifications received from an institution outside Canada need to be assessed by the Federation of Law Societies of Canada, of which Newfoundland and Labrador are a member. This body deals with applications from persons who have received legal education outside Canada and wish to qualify for practice in Canada. There is a website with further information, which is at the Federation of Law Societies of Canada. At that site click on “foreign lawyers” for the relevant information.

Once an applicant has received an NCA Certificate of Qualification they can apply to the Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador to become a student-at-law. Please refer to the Student section for admission requirements.